Orlando Child Neglect Attorney
The state of Florida is extremely aggressive when prosecuting individuals charged with child neglect; if you have been accused or are under investigation, it is vital that you consult with a skilled attorney immediately. At Adams & Luka, our Orlando child neglect lawyers have the experience and dedicated approach essential to achieve a good outcome for your case.
What is child neglect? Florida Statute §827.03(2)(d) defines this offense as the willful or negligent failure to provide a child with the essentials and protect the child from abuse, neglect, or exploitation. To go a bit further, you may be charged with child neglect in connection with any minor who is under the age of 18 and who you fail to:
- Provide with supervision, care, and the essential services to maintain the child's well-being including physical and mental health; or
- use reasonable effort to ensure the child is protected from negligent treatment, abuse, or exploitation by someone else.
This applies to those who are considered a caregiver, parent, or other household member or adult responsible for the welfare of a child.
If it is suspected that a child has been deprived of clothing, shelter, nutrition, food, medical attention, or supervision, an adult may be charged with felony child neglect. This is a serious issue, and unfortunately, something as seemingly minor as leaving a 12-year-old child at home without supervision while you run to the corner market could leave you facing prison time. This is why it is so critical that you consult with our Orlando child neglect defense attorneys immediately!
A single incident or repeated behavior may result in charges of child neglect. Any situation that could possibly result in injury or increase the risk of death to a child younger than 18 could leave you facing criminal charges.Defenses to Charges of Child Neglect in Florida
Every person who is charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. There is a wide array of defense strategies that may prove to be effective, depending on the details of your case. Some of the most common defenses used to protect those who have been charged with child neglect in Orlando from a conviction include:
- The defendant was under a reasonable impression that the child was being supervised by someone else;
- The efforts used to protect the child from neglect or abuse were reasonable;
- The defendant was not responsible for the welfare of the child, as he/she is not a caregiver;
- The actions of the defendant were not sufficiently negligent or flagrant, or willful'
- The harm sustained by the child during the incident which led to charges was not reasonably foreseeable;
- Simple neglect - simple negligence does not support a conviction for child neglect.
Classified as a third degree felony offense in Florida, child neglect is assigned a severity ranking of level 6 under the state's criminal punishment code. A conviction may result in the following penalties, or any combination thereof:
- A maximum of five (5) years in prison
- A maximum of five (5) years probation
- Up to $5,000 in fines
It is also important to note that those convicted of child neglect will have a criminal record which may impact current or future employment, housing, and more. Past criminal convictions may also affect punishment.Contact Adams & Luka Today
Child neglect is a serious allegation; if found guilty, the consequences are harsh, as indicated by the above penalties. We understand there are many occasions on which someone is wrongly accused. Regardless of your innocence or guilt, the outcome may be affected by the quality of Orlando criminal defense attorney you choose. At Adams & Luka, we are committed to the best possible results and provide a vigorous, solid defense for our clients. Contact us immediately for a free consultation at (407) 872-0307 or (352) 787-2101.