Close Free Consultation 24/7
Tap Here To Call Us

Failure to Register as a Sex Offender in Orlando

According to Florida State Statute 943.0435, all sex offenders are legally required to register with the state. Sex offenders must report to the sheriff's office at frequent intervals to report information including their current address, name, social security number, occupation, convictions, date of birth, and other relevant information. The police department will then take fingerprints and a photograph of the offender. All of this is required when a sex offender moves residences, vacates a premise, or renews a license. At Adams & Luka, our Orlando sex crimes defense attorneys understand that some requirements in regards to sex offenders are difficult to meet; we will provide the legal guidance and support necessary to ensure the best possible outcome.

It absolutely seems like it should be a violation of your rights as an American to be required to jump through hoops once you have completed your sentence for a sex crime. Ultimately. it is as if you are required to complete a "life sentence" of reporting your whereabouts, employment information, and other data after your sentence has been served and you should be free to go about your life. However, when you fail to register as a sex offender, you are essentially committing another crime.

In Florida, each felony offense is assigned a "level." Failing to register as a sex offender is a level seven (7) offense; essentially, it is considered a more serious crime than selling illegal drugs to college kids or beating your spouse for the second time. The bottom line is that failure to register as a sex offender will result in prison time. If you find yourself in this situation, we urge you to contact our Orlando sex offender failure to register lawyers immediately.

Failing to Register as a Sex Offender in Orlando & Central Florida - Getting Back in Compliance

At Adams & Luka, our Orlando failure to register as a sex offender attorneys realize that sometimes the unexpected happens. As anyone who has ever been in a government registration office knows, things do not always go smoothly. Imagine a scenario in which you go into the DMV and an employee, for one reason or another, will not accept your renewal paperwork. You end up being arrested, when you were trying your best to stay in compliance!

Having to report each time you change jobs or residences to the sheriff's office is bad enough; you feel like a 5-year-old child who is being monitored at your every move. Still, in the state of Florida failing to register is an offense that will result in prison time. If you fail to register and move residences, failure to notify authorities of the change within 48 hours will trigger notification of your failure to register. While it seems that some laws simply do not make sense, it is a sad fact that in Florida, some offenses that seem more serious, such as selling illegal drugs to college students, may not score prison time - but failing to register as a sex offender WILL.

What can we do at Adams & Luka to help you get out of this situation? Depending on the circumstances, we can work to demonstrate to prosecutors that the failure to register was an innocent mistake, and that you have been registered previously. We can take the necessary steps to ensure that you get back in compliance, or help you meet deadlines outlined under the registration statute. If you are moving into Florida or out of the state to another state, we will assist you to ensure registration requirements are met.

Contact Adams & Luka Immediately

Individuals who are charged with failing to register as a sex offender may find themselves facing a third-degree felony offense and prison time. Sex crimes are taken very seriously in the state of Florida, so it is critical that you work with an aggressive and capable Orlando sex crimes lawyer who will work vigorously to protect your freedom and get you back in compliance. At Adams & Luka, we urge you to take action immediately by calling us now at (407) 872-0307 or (352) 787-2101 for a free consultation.

Contact Us